If you are anything like me, you probably tend to gravitate toward a few specific makeup brands that you like. I've tried a ton of different brands over the years, and there are a handful that are tried and true for me. One of these brands is Tarte Cosmetics. They have a great variety of products to chose from. All of their products are cruelty-free and they have a large vegan selection as well. Their products are high quality and have only gotten better over time. In my opinion their Amazonian Clay Blush is the best blush on the market. I thought it would be fun to create a look using only products from Tarte Cosmetics so you can see how the different products from the brand come together to create a full look. This is a daytime look, but you can certainly use these products and intensify or build it up for night time. To see some of my favorites from the line, take a look at my September post where I did a spotlight segment on the brand: http://makeupmattersbylnc.blogspot.com/2012/09/spotlight-tarte-cosmetics.html
Here is a listing of products I used to create this look:
- Lifted Natural Eye Primer
- Femme Naturale Refillable Natural Eye Palette
- NeutralEYES Natural Eye Palette
- ModernEYES Waterproof Creaseless Shadow/Liner Duo in Plumberry/Plum Brown
- EmphasEYES Inner Rim Brightener
- Clean Slate Flawless 12-hr Brightening Primer
- Maracuja Miracle Foundation in Fair
- Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Illuminating Serum
- Maracuja Creaseless Concealer
- Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder in Bronze
- Achiote Blush & Maracuja Divine Lip Gloss (set)
- LipSurgence Natural Lip Tint in Moody
- LipSurgence Lip Shine in Smitten
- Lash Primer
- Gifted Mascara
- Lights, Camera, Lashes!
The focus of this look is a wearable daytime cat-eye. One of the most important parts of creating the cat-eye look is choosing an eyeliner that is creamy to ensure a smooth line. I recommend you keep cotton swabs and eye makeup remover on hand, so that you can easily correct any mistakes. We will do the eyes first here, so that it's easier to clean up without ruining our foundation.
How To Create A Cat-Eye:
- Apply eye primer to eye lid from lash line up to just under your brow. Take a bit of the primer along the lower lash line as well. You want primer anywhere that the liner will be so that your look will last all day. Smooth out with your finger or a flat synthetic brush.
- Apply a shimmery ivory shade from the Femme Naturale Refillable Natural Eye Palette (first shade upper left hand corner) to eyelid.
- Apply Matte Bone from the NeutralEYES Natural Eye Palette using a flat eyeshadow brush from lash line up to your brow.
- Apply Matte Taupe from the NeutralEYES Natural Eye Palette to crease with a fluffy brush, and blend out any harsh edges with a clean blending brush.
- Take the eyeliner side of the ModernEYES Waterproof Creaseless Shadow/Liner Duo in Plumberry/Plum Brown and draw a line along the lower lash line, starting about 1/3 of the way in. Follow the natural shape of your eye, to extend the line up slightly just to the top corner of the eyelid.
- Taking that same eyeliner, draw about 1/3 of the way in along your upper lash line, following the natural shape of your lid. Connect the top & bottom line, and fill in any bare spots.
- Use a pencil brush to blend and correct the line so it doesn't look too harsh for day time.
- Use a pointed cotton swab dipped in eye makeup remover to make any necessary corrections.
If desired, use the Plum Brown liner to tightline and apply some EmphasEYES Inner Rim Brightener to your waterline. To really make your liner last all day, you can mix some Matte Brown and Matte Plum from the NeutralEYES Natural Eye Palette and trace over the liner you drew using a fine liner or angled brush if desired. Now that you've created the perfect cat eye, we can move on to the rest of the face. I like to take a bit of eye or face primer on a sponge and clean up under the eye before moving on. Next, I primed the entire face using a flat paddle foundation brush and Tarte's Clean Slate Flawless 12-hr Brightening Primer. Using the same brush, I applied the Maracuja Miracle Foundation in Fair to my face, starting at the center of my face and working my way out. Next, using the same brush, I applied Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Illuminating Serum to the high points of my face, including the tops of my cheekbones, the bridge of my nose and my cupid's bow.
This is one of my favorite highlighters because it's not at all glittery. It just imparts a natural looking dewy glow, perfect for daytime. It's important to really blend out the edges of your highlighter with the foundation brush, so that it becomes part of your skin. Highlighter should not be obvious, and should only be something you see when your face catches the light, making your skin look healthy and dewy, not like you put on a ton of makeup. I get asked a lot of questions about how I keep my skin looking so flawless. While I'd like to say that it's due to an uberhealthy lifestyle, the reality is that I'm just very good at concealing and highlighting, so it looks like I have perfect skin. With the right products, and a little bit of practice and technique, you too can make all of your friends jealous with perfect dewy glowing skin!
I then concealed, under my eyes and any blemishes or redness including around the nose and mouth. With the Maracuja Creaseless Concealer a little goes a long way. I applied a tiny bit to the back of my hand, then dipped in a soft dome shaped brush to apply under my eyes.
To set my makeup, I used the Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder in Bronze. Normally I use this as a bronzer, but for this look, I used it lightly all over the face to achieve a uniform glow, taking it down the neck as well. To make sure I got a light application, I used a finishing brush, rather than a bronzer brush. I used the same brush to apply Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Achiote to the apples of the cheeks.
For lips, I layered three lip products to create a three dimensional look to the lips. I started with LipSurgence Natural Lip Tint in Moody. I think this is the perfect fall lip shade. If desired, you can just wear this one shade and you'll be good to go. However, I applied a tiny bit of LipSurgence Lip Shine in Smitten to just the center of my bottom lip and blended out with my finger. For added shine, I applied some Maracuja Divine Lip Gloss in Achiote with a lip brush to the center of the lips.
I then filled in my brows using the Matte Brown shade from the NeutralEYES Natural Eye Palette. If you like matte eyeshadow, this is a great palette to have as only 2 shades are shimmer in the whole palette. My brush of choice for this brow look is the Kelley Quan Wave Brush, which gives brows a very natural look. If you are interested in purchasing the brush, you can visit Kelley's website at: http://kelleyquan.com/tag/wave-angle-brush/
Finally, I applied Tarte's Lash Primer, followed by 1 coat of Lights, Camera, Lashes! and 1 coat of Gifted Mascara on top lashes only. Below is the completed look. I hope you enjoyed this post. If you would like to see more 1 brand tutorials, leave a comment below, or tweet me @MakeupMatters1.
I hope you are having a great weekend! Please don't forget to subscribe so you never miss a post!