Sunday, December 2, 2012

Makeup for Teens

Everyone has different makeup needs depending on your age and lifestyle. Today's post focuses on makeup for teenagers.  The first look is a daytime look that can be worn to school, and the second is more glam, perfect for a school dance or prom.

I had a lot of fun creating these looks on my two 17-year old guests.  I'm not going to mention every product I used, because I think the steps are more important here. However, I did use a lot of drugstore items for these looks in case the girls wanted to purchase anything I used.

Here is how I created the looks:





Natural Everyday Look:

For Nikky's look I wanted to keep it simple, and just enhance her natural beauty. This look is something any teen can wear to school, or anytime she wants a daytime look.
  1. To begin, I prepped the skin with a rosewater toner, smoothing allover her face on a cotton round.  Rosewater toner is inexpensive, and helps smooth and hydrate the skin. 
  2. I then applied a tinted moisturizer allover the face, for this look I used one by E.L.F. which is a very affordable brand. 
  3. I used a little bit of concealer under the eyes and anywhere else she needed it. 
  4. To reduce shine, I applied just a touch of mineral powder on the T-zone (forehead, nose and chin).  I used Nuance By Salma Hayek in Light. 
  5. For the eyes, I chose 2 shadows from the NYX Nude on Nude palette. This palette is a great inexpensive alternative to the Urban Decay Naked palette, and even includes several lip colors in a slide out drawer.  I first used a matte cream color shadow from the lash line to brow applied with a flat shader brush. Nikky said that she likes shimmery shadow, so I chose a shimmery gold from the palette and applied it as a light wash of color allover the lid using a fluffy shadow brush from 100% Pure Cosmetics
  6. While Nikky doesn't normally wear blush, I wanted to add back a little color that the tinted moisturizer and mineral powder may have removed, so I applied just a touch to the apples of her cheeks. 
  7. I applied my favorite drugstore mascara to her lashes; Physicians Formula 100% Natural Origin Lash Boosting Mascara 
  8. For lips, I chose Tarte Lip Surgence in Moody, a perfect shade for fall/winter. It's light and moisturizing formula feels more like a lip balm than a lipstick, making it easy to apply and wear.  I brushed her brows into place, completing the look.


Evening Look:

For Michelle's look I wanted to create a look perfect for a school dance or prom. Michelle told me she liked purple eyeshadow, so that's what I used here. Purple shadows look great on just about any eye color. 

  1. Since I was using dark shimmery shadows, I decided to do the eyes first so that I could easily clean up any fallout. I first primed the lids with Too Faced Shadow Insurance. If you are going to a prom, or dance, you really want to make sure your shadow lasts all night. The primer will help brighten up the colors, as well as prevent creasing. 
  2. I then used a creamy purple eyeliner allover the lid, blending it out with a stiff domed brush. 
  3. To create a purple smokey eye, I topped the liner with a shimmery purple powder shadow allover the lid and blended it up into the crease, pulling the color out slightly to create a smokey look.
  4. To better define the crease, I used a matte bronzer on a fluffy brush and swept it into and just over the socket of the eye.
  5. I chose a matte pale peach powder shadow as an under brow highlight, but used a shimmery shadow on the inner corner of the eyes to brighten up the look.
  6. I then took the purple eyeliner from step 2 and smudged it along the lower lash line with a smudge brush. 
  7. We decided it would be fun to do a cat-eye with this look, so I drew one on using an angled eyeliner brush and Makeup Geek Gel Liner in Immortal (black). 
  8. For the lashes, I used a heated eyelash curler, then applied lash primer to Michelle's lashes I followed that with generous amounts of black mascara to help pull together this dramatic look.
  9. Using a little primer on a sponge, I cleaned up any fallout
  10. Once the eyes were done, we moved on to the face. I chose a wax based foundation free from any SPF.  When you are going to prom, you typically take a lot of pictures. If you use a foundation with too high an SPF, it will create an unflattering flashback from the camera. 
  11. I applied concealer under the eyes
  12. I then applied a Nuance by Salma Hayek Mineral powder in Medium
  13. When you are getting pictures taken, its nice to have your face contoured. I applied a pressed powder from Milani in the deepest shade they make to the hollows of the cheeks, sides of the forehead, underneath the jaw line, and sides of the nose to contour
  14. I swept Cinnamon blush by NYX on her cheekbones for color. 
  15. Since we used dark colors on the eyes, I wanted to keep the lips nude. I chose NYX lipstick in Nude, topping it off with NYX gloss in the color Pink Frost.
  16. I used a clear brow gel, to groom her brows into shape.
  17. I set the look with a setting spray to make sure it stayed put all night. 

Here is the final look:



I want to give a big thanks to Michelle & Nikky for stopping by. I had so much fun creating these makeup looks. If you have any questions on the products I used, feel free to drop me a comment in the box below.

2 comments:

  1. Nikky and Michelle looked great before, but you did a super job with their makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my make-up lessons from Lina Cameron. I wanted to use a gel liner for regular use. She suggested me Maybelline or Elf one. What do you think, how this will be for oily skin and for my classes?

    ReplyDelete

Comments/Questions are highly encouraged. However please refrain from posting links to other sites. I cannot always respond personally to every post, but appreciate and read them all.