Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Spotlight: Lime Crime

Lime Crime

This post is long overdue and much requested. I've been testing out some makeup products from the brand Lime Crime. While this independent company has gotten some bad press, I can only speak to my own personal experience with the brand. I feel badly if people have had a bad experience with any brand, but I can only make judgements based on specific products I've used. 

All of the products in this post were purchased by me. What drew me to the brand is their brightly colored cosmetics and unique packaging. Also, none of their products are tested on animals and they offer many vegan options.

You can learn more about the brand, here: http://www.limecrimemakeup.com

The brand has newly formulated their eyeshadow primer to make it completely vegan. They have also repackaged it into a squeeze tube and increased the size of the product, without raising the cost (something virtually unheard of in the makeup world).  Lime Crime's Eyeshadow Helper is waterproof and when spread over eyelids adds staying power and increases the intensity of your eyeshadow.  This eye primer is a bit thick, so you can only squeeze a little bit out of the tube at a time, which is fine because a little goes a long way. The color is a light peach and it dries to a matte finish. This is one of the best eye primers I have ever used. I have problems with eyeshadow creasing due to the shape of my lids, and I found this product helps even with some of my cheaper eyeshadows. 

Next, I tried the Alchemy Eyeshadow Palette.  All of the colors in the palette were very pigmented and easy to blend. Even without an eye primer underneath, the color payoff is impressive.  The packaging is really adorable, and looks unique among my palette collection. All of the shadows in this collection are duochrome, meaning they shift to a different color when they hit the light a certain way. Love Potion #9 has the most shift of all the shades.

All swatches are without a primer underneath:

 Pictured: above without flash, below with flash.


Pictured from left to right:
Incantation - Copper orange with gold shimmer
Lucky Charm – Emerald green with lighter green shift (shimmer
)
Love Potion #9 – Purple/pink shift (shimmer)
Spellbound – White/Gold shift (shimmer)
Divination – blue/teal shift (shimmer)
Next, I tried the lip colors. If you follow me on Twitter, you may have seen me tweet a picture wearing the Red Velvet Velvetines lip color by Lime Crime on Christmas Day.

Lime Crime's Velvetines lip colors come in two shades: Suedeberry and Red Velvet. They are described as a matte gloss.  They apply like a gloss with a doe foot applicator, but the color is opague and provides a matte velvet finish on the lips.

I also purchased two lipsticks from the brand in Coquette and Centrifuchsia.  Like everything the brand seems to make, these are extremely pigmented and opaque.

Here are swatches of the lip products (below from left to right Centrifuchsia, Coquette, Red Velvet):


The lipsticks remind me a bit of OCC Lip Tars, mostly because of their opacity. If you like the idea of a lip tar, but not the application process, you may want to try these lipsticks which come in tube. I will say, I think these also apply better with a lip brush rather than straight from the tube.  Centrifuchsia is a bright fuchsia color while Coquette is a peachy pink nude. 

My absolute favorite product from the brand is their liquid eyeliner. I have the color Lazuli which is not only the brightest blue liner I've ever used, but is also the easiest to apply. I'm not sure what it is about the brush, but you can easily get a very thin line, and the formula dries so quickly that you never have to worry about smudging. If you prefer a traditional black liquid liner, they carry that also in the color Quill, which is a very intense black with a glossy finish.




While you may not want to wear all of the colors at the same time, I wanted to show you how they look on the eye as well, not just in swatches, so I did a quick eye look for you using all of the colors in the palette (pictured above). Their lipsticks also work well as cream blushes and you only need the tiniest amount to get the perfect flush.

I hope you enjoyed this look at Lime Crime. Have you tried the brand? What are your favorite products from Lime Crime?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions are highly encouraged. However please refrain from posting links to other sites. I cannot always respond personally to every post, but appreciate and read them all.