Sunday, September 16, 2012

5 Min Smokey Eye Using Stila Smudge Crayon

 If you subscribe to Beautybar.com's Sample Society monthly subscription box, you probably were fortunate enough to get a mini Stila Smudge Crayon in your box this month. While on Facebook this weekend, I saw that someone requested a tutorial. I received my sample in the color Smoke, but I also own 2 full size versions of this product in the colors Kitten and Dazzle. For more info on the Sample Society program, please visit BeautyBar.comStila's Smudge Crayons are very easy to use, waterproof and long lasting. I absolutely love this product and will probably purchase it in more colors.

I left my sample at the office, which I received in the color Smoke, a taupey gray color similar to Urban Decay's Mushroom.  For this tutorial, I will be using the color Dazzle and Kitten. Dazzle is a sparkly deep gray color and Kitten is a champagne peachy pink with gold in it (perfect for highlighting).

This product works as a stand alone shadow, a base for powder shadows, and the lighter colors such as Kitten, work as a highlighter to highlight cheekbones, cupid's bow and just under your brow bone or inner corner of the eyes.

How do I use this product?:

For a 5 minute smokey eye, I took the color Dazzle and applied it just to the base of my lash line because that's where I wanted the color to be most concentrated. I then pulled the color up using a cream eyeshadow brush. You can also smudge it up using your finger or a concealer brush if you prefer. I kept reapplying the color, always starting at the base of my lash line and pulling the color up with the brush until I got the desired intensity. I also drew a little bit on the outer corner of my eye to define that area. Pull the color up into the crease using the same brush (or your finger).  Blend out any harsh edges using a synthetic crease brush or blending brush. I recommend blending out each eye before moving to the next once because once these set they do not budge, so you'll need to work somewhat quickly.I then took the crayon and drew about 1/3 of the way under my lash line and smudged it gently with a pencil brush.

Optional: I then used Kitten to highlight the inner corner of my eye and just under the brow bone, applying the color straight from the crayon then blending with a brush (you can also blend with your finger). That's it. You are done. How easy is that?



 This is the fastest easiest way I know how to do a smokey eye. I'm not sure what other colors came in the Sample Society box, but you can use this same technique with any of the colors and it will give you a different look depending on how deep the shade is.  Here is the final look. You could make this as light or as dark as you want it depending on your preference by simply adding more color:


 Note the nice highlight in the inner corner of the eye and under the brow bone (above).



 If you want to take the look 1 step further, and treat the smudge crayon as a base for a powder shadow, after following above steps, you can apply some of Urban Decay's Ashpalt shadow from the Smoked palette to just the outer corner of the eye over the top of the Smudge Crayon, blending it into the crease  and under the lash line as I've done here:



 Note, I also used Stila's Smudge Crayon in Kitten as a cheekbone & brow bone highlight (above).

As you can see, this final step doesn't change the look much it just adds another layer of dimension to the look and it will make the look last a bit longer on the eye because you've layered the product. Here are the powder shadows I would recommend for layering based on your color of Smudge Crayon:

Kitten: Use the Kitten powder shadow from Stila
Smoke: Use Mushroom from Urban Decay
Dazzle: Use Ashpalt from Urban Decay's Smoked Palette

Available shades of Stila Smudge Crayon:
  • Black
  • Kitten
  • Midnight Blue
  • Umber
  • Antique
  • Pink Violet
  • Rose
  • Smoke 
I no longer see Dazzle on Stila's website so it may have been a limited edition or discontinued shade. 

Price for full size product is $22 which includes a built in sharpener.  Please visit http://www.stilacosmetics.com for more info 


Stila is a cruelty free and Eco friendly company!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Questions are highly encouraged. However please refrain from posting links to other sites. I cannot always respond personally to every post, but appreciate and read them all.